Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Floor Plans

The Mad Scientist Mansion, as I currently envision it, has two stories. Honestly, I'm a little surprised by this. When I set out to design it, I had ideas for all different sorts of rooms and I figured it was going to be a sprawling, ridiculous mess, but it turns out that it all fits into a semi-reasonable floor plan rather nicely. I mean, what's inside the house is somewhat less reasonable, but it was only after drawing these floor plans that I began to think this is actually an achievable dream.

Therefore, without further ado, let me present to you floor one:


You enter the house through a set of double doors that lead to a somewhat significant hallway. Obviously, the hallway will be decorated, but I'm not sure how. Right now, I'm leaning towards suits of armor, but that may change.

Coming out of the hallway, you enter the great room. This will be furnished with couches and chairs and will contain the largest fireplace in the house. (There are three, because I'm a pyro.) The great room will also have a vaulted ceiling, and, if I end up owning one, the piano. Whether or not I have a piano is an open question right now. I learned to play when I was growing up, but my skills have since gotten rusty. In theory, I like the idea of being able to play, but I don't know how much I'll actually practice, in practice. In any event, the great room is designed to be a very comfortable space where lots of people can sit and talk.

The great room opens onto the deck, and from there, the backyard. My ideas about the backyard are vague at this point. Currently, I'm going through a hedge maze, fountains, and torches phase, but this changes pretty regularly. I think the only thing we can all be reasonably sure of is some sort of fire pit. I mean, if there are three fireplaces inside the house, there's really got to be at least one in the backyard.

Anyway, the area you see cut out from the top right corner of the great room is the kitchen counters. The kitchen is a sufficiently substantial part of the house that it has its own blog, so I'll let you read about it there. Suffice to say here that it will be fully automated and do all the cooking for me.

The kitchen opens into a dining room, which will be pretty much what you'd expect from a dining room, and from the dining room, you can enter the library, which will also have its own blog soon. I will say here only that I am very happy with this library. It's in a tower, it has its own fireplace, and you get from one floor to the other via a spiral staircase leading to a trap door.

On the other side of the great room, we have a bathroom and a closet--nothing special there--as well as the study and the laundry room. The study is where I'll do all my technical work. It will house a fairly powerful computer that will control all the automation in the mansion. It also opens to the three car garage. Two of those three spots will probably be for cars, but the third will be a small machine shop, and this is why it must be connected to the study. I'll do the design work in the study and then go build everything in the garage.

The laundry room will have its own blog. It also will be fully automated.

If you go up the stairs, you find floor two (hopefully, unless there's been some terrible warping of the space-time continuum on the stairs. I'm working on a contingency plan for that.) :


Nothing terribly interesting about the closet or the guest bedrooms, except that the only external entrance to the second story of the library is from within guest room number two. I don't love this configuration, but it was the best way to make everything fit. It will probably change when I take these plans to an actual architect, but that's what it is for now.

 Like I said, the library will soon have its own blog, so I'm not going to talk about that here.

The theater room is basically what it sounds like. There will be a nice big TV and lots of very comfortable recliners. The theater room is the only room in the house that will have a TV. I'm one of those people who gets easily distracted by screens, so I want to the TV to be off and out of sight except when I'm deliberately using it, and when I am deliberately using it, I want it to be the only thing that's going on. The TV room will also have its own blog at some point.

Again, nothing terribly interesting about the bathroom, which takes us, finally, to the master bedroom. A couple of important points here: First, the alcove. I really like the idea of having a little area with a fireplace (here, the fireplace is right above the great room fireplace, but not oriented at the same angle. I'm hoping they can share a chimney), a desk, and a recliner, where I can spend some time unwinding before bed. I have mixed feelings about entering the bedroom through the alcove, but, again, that's how things fit, so for now it's the plan.

Also, the master bedroom is directly above the laundry room. This is very important for the automation of the laundry room: There's a laundry shoot I can drop my clothes down when I'm getting ready for bed and the laundry room will just take care of it, but, again, that's its own blog (or will be soon).

Finally, the master bathroom must have a really nice shower. I want the water pressure to be pretty high, and I want the water to get pretty hot. This is how I wake up in the morning. And then, as I'm enjoying my nice warm shower, I will smell the bacon the kitchen is cooking for me, and I will know it's going to be a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment