Monday, August 24, 2015

The Universal Remote

As I have mentioned before, I would like to control the MSM remotely through a phone or tablet. I had been envisioning an app to do this, but the more I look into it, the more I'm thinking "app" is basically a fancy word for "program" and my life will be a lot easier if I just use a tablet as a computer and not worry about all this official "app" business. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Pros: I am more comfortable programming in Linux than in any other operating system, and, all other things being equal, would prefer to do that. A tablet would let me. I wouldn't necessarily have to learn any new tools or environments, and I could program in C, which is also my preference. (Initial explorations into this say Android apps are easiest programmed in Java, which I learned once, but is not my native language. Not sure about other operating systems.)

Cons: It would mean another device to carry around, since, as far as I know, you can't get phone calls on a tablet running Linux. (And, to be honest, I don't know if I'd even want to.) I also wouldn't end up learning any new tools or environments.

I need to keep exploring this, but I think dropping the app idea would make things easier. I think I'm going to start writing some preliminary programs on my Linux box and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment